The Depths of Yoga


Yoga is a constant journey of changes, revelations, and crossing new edges. For those who have been practicing it for awhile, you may have a favorite style or routine. If you are new to it, I imagine it can be quite daunting to know where to start. Yoga has ignited to a whole new level in the past ten years. There are numerous styles to consider and seeing folks who have done it for awhile can be intimidating.

Things always change; however, remember the truth that "the more things change, the more they stay the same." I say that because the heart of yoga is to unite. Some may get into the "hot" yoga (Bikram) or be more comfortable doing the Iyengar style; but, the ultimate purpose is a union of mind, body and spirit. It can be an instantaneous spark that lights up on your first practice or it might be a dim fire that gets brighter with each practice. We all learn what we need to know to move forward at our own pace in life. The same is with yoga.

I have been practicing yoga for six years. Truthfully, even after getting my RYT, taking continuing education courses, watching videos, making videos, reading a ton and writing about it, I have just barely scratched the surface of knowledge. I am ok with that fact. There are literally countless benefits that yoga has brought to my life; however, I would have to say the most beneficial (to this point) has been the ability to "see" further than ever before. I feel more, I dream more, I live and love life more. I instinctively know that my life would not have the same depth to it without yoga.

I hear students express concerns that they cannot do certain moves or foresee doing some pose. I cannot express how insignificant that issue is in the big scheme of things. I truly believe we receive yoga in our lives when we have just enough flexibility to try it. (And, I am not talking about physical flexibility) Your heart and mind need attention and yoga helps you learn how to help yourself. Let your practice take you to a deeper depth of awareness. Breathe, slow down the mind by learning to be present, and just be still...movement to movement. Pursue new edges and don't be afraid to "fail" to do a pose right. Enjoy the experience of trying something new.

If you keep the mindset of a child that is in awe of a new "discovery", you will realize there is no end to the tunnel of awareness. And, you will be happy about it. After all, when something comes to an end, you have to find something else to do. With yoga, you are set for a lifetime.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga and the Adrenal Glands

Inversions, Hormones and Yoga